Answered By: Michael Pujals Last Updated: Aug 06, 2014 Views: 39
According to the Essentials of Philosophy and Ethics The Four Noble Truths are:
- Experience is impermanent, is transient suffering.
- It is wanting experiences that causes transient suffering.
- To halt transient suffering you must abolish all appetites.
- To achieve Nirvana you must follow the eightfold path.
GAUTAMA, SIDDHARTHA. (2006). In The Essentials of Philosophy and Ethics. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.dominican.edu/form?qurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.credoreference.com/entry/hodderepe/gautama_siddhartha
Of course this is not a complete explanation, you should read the full article and you should read other articles on the topic. There are slightly different versions of the truths depending on which text you read and which sect of Buddhism you are reading about.
Databases that you could check out include:
- Humanities International Complete
- Academic Search Complete
- Wilson OmniFile
You should also take a look in our catalog to find books on the topic.